Am I Hungry?
Powerful Patient, 2010 Week 17
Host: Joyce Graff, http://powerfulpatient.org, email@example.com 800-767-4845
Dr. Michelle May
Dr. Michelle May talks with Joyce about the approach to Mindful Eating presented in her book, "Eat What You Love, Love What You Eat: How to Break Your Eat-Repent-Repeat Cycle" Her motto: "Eat Mindfully, Live Vibrantly!"
About our guest:
Michelle May, M.D., author and recovered yoyo dieter, is the award-winning author of Am I Hungry? What to Do When Diets Don't Work and Eat What You Love, Love What You Eat: How to Break Your Eat-Repent-Repeat Cycle which reinforce her powerful message for lasting change.
As a family physician, motivational wellness speaker, writer, workshop facilitator, and consultant, Dr. May has shared her powerful and innovative approach to breaking free from yo-yo dieting with thousands of audience members, workshop participants, health care professionals, and organizations across the country.
She founded Am I Hungry?® Workshops, winner of the Excellence in Patient Education Innovation Award as a positive, effective solution to chronic, ineffective yo-yo dieting. She has trained over 170 Am I Hungry?® Facilitators worldwide to offer mindful eating workshops in their companies, offices, wellness centers, and communities.
About Breaking your Weight Loss cycling
Dr. May talks with Joyce about the ways people should look at weight. It’s not just about the number on the scale, or even the Body Mass Index (BMI), it’s about wellness. What are the factors that are important to your own health? Talk with your doctor about the particular elements you need to focus on (blood pressure, triglycerides, etc.) and make small, sustainable changes that you will be willing to do and continue doing. Begin by making just one change, and doing it for a week. Then make another small change that you are willing to stick with.
In her books and workshops, Dr. May helps people understand why their weight may be out of control.
- Finally understand why diets don't work for you or most other people
- Discover simple yet powerful internal tools for knowing when, what, and how much to eat
- End mindless and emotional eating.
- Find out how to eat the foods you love without guilt - and without bingeing
- Stop obsessing about food, eating, and your weight and free yourself to live the full life you deserve
- Learn the truth about nutrition without confusing, arbitrary rules
- Never again exercise to earn food or punish yourself for eating
- Boost your metabolism and increase your energy and fitness painlessly
- Nourish your body, mind, and spirit to build your health, energy, and joy
Often people eat not because they are hungry, but because they are bored or stressed. There are other things you could be doing! On her website, http://www.amihungry.com she has some suggestions for what to do rather than grabbing something to eat: “101 Things to Do Besides Eat”
We all need to eat to fuel our bodies, our activities, and our health.
Buy books links:
Am I Hungry? What to Do When Diets Don't Work
Eat What You Love, Love What You Eat: How to Break Your Eat-Repent-Repeat Cycle